Skip to main content

My 2 Carls on the 2+ Re-Rollable



Warning! Competitive gaming topic alert!  Hehe.

There have been a great many ideas posed for dealing with some of the issues with Deathstars in 40k right now.  One of the main culprits of this is the re-rollable save.  This isn't everything that's difficult about competitive playe right now, but it's a big part of it.

As an Ork player, I find the concept of getting rid of Battle Brothers to be rather compelling.  I know that a lot of folks don't like the concecpt of changing the rules of the game so fundamentally, though, and it really does kind of take something away from the game.  I do like the idea of being able to add some HQs to units and help out with psychic powers.

As a thought experiment, let's go the other way and imagine if every army were Battle Brothers instead. What would happen? Well, every army could have a 2+ re-rollable of some variety. Almost every army, no matter the flavor, at the competitive level could be the same. How boring is that? Well, it's the same thing we have now except only a handful of armies get to do it.

I think, in the interest of a diverse field of battle, banning Battle Brothers may really the path of least resistance. Having said that, I really think it would make Daemons extremely popular, more so than they are now.

It also doesn't actually solve the core problem and it reduces player choice, which I do not like doing. People need to be compelled to make whatever fun and fluffy allies choice they want at a tournament and feel good about this choice.




The difficult part is that the real issue lies in the fact that a re-roll to saves is inherently broken by it's very nature. A re-roll on saves is better when you have a better save to begin with. It's an exponential bonus. This makes it an EXTREMELY volatile rule fraught with the danger for abuse. I don't believe the game designers really thought it through. I think they assumed it'd be like re-rolling to-hits. That's not the case. Hitting all the time is nowhere near as powerful or important as saving all the time.

The only real and true way to fix re-rolls on saves is to completely alter how it works on a fundamental level and I'm not sure any T.O. (myself included, even as small-time and local as I am) has the balls to do that.

What about this?

Re-Roll to Saves: Sometimes a special rule grants a unit a re-roll to its saving throw(s). For the purposes of this tournament, instead of re-rolling, improve the save by 2. If the save improves beyond a 2+, consult the chart below.

1+        If a "1" is rolled, re-roll and save on a 6+.
0+        If a "1" is rolled, re-roll and save on a 5+.

This would make the rule linear instead of exponential. It would still improve 5+ saves to 3+ saves, which is good, but 2+ would be a 2+/5+ which is exactly the same as Draigowing used to be with feel no pain and that was completely managable with weight of fire.

I'd be very interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ordo Draconis Armies on Parade

As I finish up models that have been sitting in my queue, I've been doing army shots including them. Last week, I finished up the knight models I had lying around. The lore for Knight House Draco has advanced in the Era Indomitus. The house's pencheant for daemon fighting has caught the eye of the Ordo Malleus and they have been brought into the fold. Their worlds have been put under communications blackout and household forces sworn to the crusade against the Ruinous Powers. They are now known as the Ordo Draconis and even Greater Daemons tremble at the mere mention of their name. Tiamat Drogon Gojira Melificent Falcor Smaug Jabberwocky Jormungandr The Eye Stalkers

How Did it Come to This? 10,000 Points of Painted Orks

One can only make so many milestone posts before people eventually get soul-crushingly bored of them.  However, I'm going to make an exception here because with my Vengeance Batteries, I've reached a total of 10,000 points painted with my Orks.  These points include reasonable upgrades, but not ridiculous add-ons like Kill Kannons for the Battlewagons.  Let's not be silly . Here's a video of the army.  Unlike the one I did for 7,000, this does not include a running commentary of each unit.  I simply cannot find the time to do that.  However, at the end of the post, please find a complete army list. Please try to view in YouTube instead of this embed because I uploaded it at full resolution and it took me forever.  You won't be disappointed! I started playing this game in 2010 when some friends and I suddenly realized that we finally had grown-up jobs and could actually afford it.  I'd always danced around the idea of collecting Orks either for F

2021 in Review and Looking Forward

Newly-painted models of 2021 Hobby progress was largely successful in 2021 with a huge focus on repainting old Orks into the new scheme.  Album for fully painted models of 2021: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPwtmvia5UQLguka8 Album for repainted models of 2021:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/WxGgtThxS7M6bdmp6 By the numbers: Points fully painted: 4457 Models fully painted: 132 Points repainted: 5467 Models repainted: 205 Total points: 9924 Total models: 337 After completing all the repaints, I managed to get some army shots of the Orks, which doesn't include the new Megaboss or the Bossbunker, but it's most everything else, about 26,000pts in new money: Morkers Morkers Dreadmob Gorkers Mercenaries and Misc. 2022 For 2022, I have a lot of projects on the burner including more Orks, a Cities of Sigmar project, and Tau. As usual, the Rogue Trader idea keeps percolating and collecting one kit at a time in its little, plastic container. Orks: 9x Killa Kans 3x Deffkoptas (also need to rebase