Skip to main content

2017 Hobby Progress - 17,000 points and 475 models


This year, I harnessed my D.I.N.K. status and the month off I got to recuperate from gastric bypass surgery to get a ton on hobby progress completed. Even with the relatively easy amount of personal responsibilities, it was a huge undertaking to get 475 models painted this year.

Thanks to Wendy for being the coolest. Also thanks to my hobby peer group including my own 40k club  made of various local and remote folks and also the people in the 1 Hour a Night Facebook group and the Insane Mode Facebook group.

Note that, in addition to these painted figs, I found the time to renovate the game room, write about 45,000 words, co-produce over 30 episodes of the Masters of the Forge podcast, play lots of games, and run the Goldensprue Cup GT. I also attended The Portal GT, the Beef & Wing Brawl, and Da Boyz GT.

Imperial Knights Army



The first army I finished this year were my Imperial Knights of House Draco. I've had mixed experiences regarding my knights. They were a delight to paint and make up lore for, of course, but I had a hard time bringing them to events. The original intent was to use them as my Horus Heresy army. Sadly, many Horus Heresy events do not allow Knights. I brought them to a couple of 40k events and they did fairly well, but nothing so insurmountable as in 7th edition.

WAAGH! Tuska Reinforcements



I added a few odds and ends to WAAGH! Tuska to use at the tail end of 7th edition. Mainly, I liked having an additional Skull Kannon for summoning, some Blue and Pink Horrors for Pink casualties and fleshing out Detachments. I used Daemonkin pretty exclusively in the first quarter of 2017.

Shadow War Kill Team 




As 8th Edition approached, many of us became disinterested in playing 7th. In the month leading up to the new releases, our group played in a fun Shadow War campaign for which I picked up a box of Skitarii and made a good mixture of different models.

In addition, I built a counts-as Avatar for my Necrons army.

Star Eagles



The release of 8th edition made collecting of the new Primaris kits easy thanks in no small part to GW for sending us a preview copy of Dark Milleneum. I also tacked on an additional Intercessor squad and a couple of Hellblaster squads at the end of the year. Now I can run a proper Battalion detachment made of Star Eagles.

Seraphon



I've always wanted to  own a fantasy army and the upcoming surgery respite dates were going to be boring unless I could make use of it working on this army.     

Ork "Big Trakks"


Despite the new rules, I only painted a handful of Orks units this year. Four Boomguns drew my attention, repainting three of them and doing a fourth from scratch.

Blood Bowl 


Wendy and I both got into Blood Bowl this year and attended our first NAF sanctioned event at Da Boyz GT.

Emperor's Children



This project represents the majority of the time spent on hobby at the end of the year.


2018



I'm going to try tapping the brakes a little bit in 2018. Certainly, I won't be shooting for another 17,000 or more points. I do want to focus on my Orks, though. I've already collected a few kits to expand them. In total, I have about 4000 points of models left to paint...


UnitRolePPMModels per unitUnitsModels TotalPoints Total
CannonnessHQ4911149
PriestsElites3912278
Primaris Psyker IllithidHQ4011140
Inquisitor with Digital and PlasmaHQ8211182
Inquisitor with Rod PlasmaHQ6611166
WeirdboyHQ62122124
BoomgunHeavy165111165
StormboyzFast Attack881864
Stormboyz Nob with Power KlawFast Attack2111121
Stikkbommer BoyzTroops624124144
Skorcha BuggiesFast Attack4721294
Wazzbomm Blasta JetFlyer191111191
GorkanautHeavy Support356111356
Big Shoota BuggiesFast Attack43313129
Primaris LieutenantsHQ7411174
Inceptor SquadFast45313135
Hellblaster SquadHeavy33515165
Hellblaster Sarge with PistolHeavy4011140
Repulsor TankDedicated338122676
Aggressor SquadElite3331399
Intercessor SquadTroops185420360
Ork RuinsTerrain01330
Ork BuildingsTerrain01220
Ork TowersTerrain01220
Ork BarricadesTerrain01220
DiggazTroops4821664
Digga with Voxcaster (drummer)Troops91119
Digga with Grenade LauncherTroops912218
Digga Lascannon TeamTroops2812256
BullgrynsElites45515225
Swords of Epiphany CSMTroops1313113169
Swords of Epiphany CSM with Icon & Power WeaponTroops2211122
Swords of Epiphany CSM with PlasmaTroops2621252
Swords of Epiphany CSM with Heavy BolterHeavy Support36414144
Swords of Epiphany Exalted ChampionHQ8211182

Comments

  1. Jeezuz. A sight to behold! Well done! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted purple space marines...they look great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ordo Draconis Armies on Parade

As I finish up models that have been sitting in my queue, I've been doing army shots including them. Last week, I finished up the knight models I had lying around. The lore for Knight House Draco has advanced in the Era Indomitus. The house's pencheant for daemon fighting has caught the eye of the Ordo Malleus and they have been brought into the fold. Their worlds have been put under communications blackout and household forces sworn to the crusade against the Ruinous Powers. They are now known as the Ordo Draconis and even Greater Daemons tremble at the mere mention of their name. Tiamat Drogon Gojira Melificent Falcor Smaug Jabberwocky Jormungandr The Eye Stalkers

How Did it Come to This? 10,000 Points of Painted Orks

One can only make so many milestone posts before people eventually get soul-crushingly bored of them.  However, I'm going to make an exception here because with my Vengeance Batteries, I've reached a total of 10,000 points painted with my Orks.  These points include reasonable upgrades, but not ridiculous add-ons like Kill Kannons for the Battlewagons.  Let's not be silly . Here's a video of the army.  Unlike the one I did for 7,000, this does not include a running commentary of each unit.  I simply cannot find the time to do that.  However, at the end of the post, please find a complete army list. Please try to view in YouTube instead of this embed because I uploaded it at full resolution and it took me forever.  You won't be disappointed! I started playing this game in 2010 when some friends and I suddenly realized that we finally had grown-up jobs and could actually afford it.  I'd always danced around the idea of collecting Orks either for F

2021 in Review and Looking Forward

Newly-painted models of 2021 Hobby progress was largely successful in 2021 with a huge focus on repainting old Orks into the new scheme.  Album for fully painted models of 2021: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPwtmvia5UQLguka8 Album for repainted models of 2021:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/WxGgtThxS7M6bdmp6 By the numbers: Points fully painted: 4457 Models fully painted: 132 Points repainted: 5467 Models repainted: 205 Total points: 9924 Total models: 337 After completing all the repaints, I managed to get some army shots of the Orks, which doesn't include the new Megaboss or the Bossbunker, but it's most everything else, about 26,000pts in new money: Morkers Morkers Dreadmob Gorkers Mercenaries and Misc. 2022 For 2022, I have a lot of projects on the burner including more Orks, a Cities of Sigmar project, and Tau. As usual, the Rogue Trader idea keeps percolating and collecting one kit at a time in its little, plastic container. Orks: 9x Killa Kans 3x Deffkoptas (also need to rebase