Skip to main content

Tips on Surviving the ICs Hobby Progress Challenge



There were quite a few of us who successfully completed the 2013 Hobby Progress Challenge and it is shaping up to be quite a 2014. We have almost as many people signed up this year as were signed up last year and we haven't even officially started yet!  Participation is very high.  We have a lot of good people, some of them who have recently signed up, who have already been quite helpful to others in working on their challenges.  Kudos to all of you for making the ICs community an even better place to talk about the hobby.

Not only that, but some people have already finished their February commitment!  Here is Jerre's February commitment, a squad of Deathmarks.  Great job, Jerre!  I'll certainly be stealing some ideas for my own Necrons!


Now that a new year has dawned, I wanted to share a few quick tips on working through the Hobby Progress Challenge.  These tips come from my own experience doing the challenge myself and also watching others do it.

Your mileage, of course, may vary for each of these tips.

Discouragement is the Enemy



With a challenge of this magnitude, it's really easy to fall behind.  If you're unable to finish a monthly commitment, look at what you've done.  If you are almost done, then finish it up and move on to the next thing.  If you didn't finish much, set it aside and start something new. Obviously, there was something about that unit which was putting you off.

Do not let depression take you.  It's really easy for some of us to look at a failure and think to ourselves, "Well, I didn't finish that piece, so what's the point in continuing?"  I know that, for most of us who get caught in that trap, this isn't a conscious thought, but it happens.  It's the same thing when OCD people have messy houses; they are so obsessed with doing everything perfectly that when they see the huge amount of work that needs to be done, they shut down.

When this happens, take a deep breath and move on to the next thing.  Don't dwell on it... write off the failure.  The worst that consequence is that you lose one entry in the prize drawing.  That's not the end of the world.  You can come back to it at the end of the challenge.

Save the ICs




Independent Characters are often the easiest to paint.  Now, yes, you are going to do your best work on your ICs, but they still take a lot less time than a squad.  If you are ahead of the game or if you are going on at a reasonable clip, do not paint your ICs. Save them for the end.  You never know when you may need them to bail you out if you are falling behind or have a busy month coming up.   (I'm looking at you, April!)

The Fake-Out




One strategy that I use with myself is to set very simple goals.  For example, if I come home from work at 4:30, I have about an hour and 10 minutes until my wife comes home.  If I can tell myself, "Self, you can get all the boots on these Ork Boyz painted in that time.  You don't have to do anything else.  Just the boots.  That's easy."

"You know what?", I reply, "You're right, self. It's not a big deal. I'll just paint the boots and be happy with today's progress.  Not a big deal!"

Fast forward five hours, the wife is still hungry and I have half the steps done! Genius!

In all seriousness, though, taking a project in bites is a great way to get it finished. Sometimes you will find that you'll have the motivation to do a little bite even if you don't have it for the whole project.  Sometimes you will surprise yourself and get more done than you intended.

Share!





Share your progress on a Blog.  Share on the Overlords Facebook page! Share your hobby steps (not just completed models) on your Challenge thread!  We have a really amazing community and people are more than willing to share their thoughts with you.  In time, you'll look forward to their feedback and the anticipation of it will become a motivator in and of itself.

Have the Best Wife Ever




It's really important to have the Best Significant Other Ever.  This may not help you, but I can't help you if you've made poor life choices.  If you have made poor life choices, I strongly recommend the ICs Podcast on Cheating on Your Spouse with 40k.

Sadly, in the End, Just Do It

Buddy sez "I believe in you!"

I'm sorry, but, in the end it all comes down to just doing it.  Believe in yourself and just pull yourself up by your own hobby boot-straps and get it done.  The gratification of a job well done is its own reward.  Jeez! I'm practically making myself sick with all these clichéd platitudes!  Please! Paint some models before it gets any worse!

Do you have any other ideas for keeping motivated?  Leave them in the comments below!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ordo Draconis Armies on Parade

As I finish up models that have been sitting in my queue, I've been doing army shots including them. Last week, I finished up the knight models I had lying around. The lore for Knight House Draco has advanced in the Era Indomitus. The house's pencheant for daemon fighting has caught the eye of the Ordo Malleus and they have been brought into the fold. Their worlds have been put under communications blackout and household forces sworn to the crusade against the Ruinous Powers. They are now known as the Ordo Draconis and even Greater Daemons tremble at the mere mention of their name. Tiamat Drogon Gojira Melificent Falcor Smaug Jabberwocky Jormungandr The Eye Stalkers

How Did it Come to This? 10,000 Points of Painted Orks

One can only make so many milestone posts before people eventually get soul-crushingly bored of them.  However, I'm going to make an exception here because with my Vengeance Batteries, I've reached a total of 10,000 points painted with my Orks.  These points include reasonable upgrades, but not ridiculous add-ons like Kill Kannons for the Battlewagons.  Let's not be silly . Here's a video of the army.  Unlike the one I did for 7,000, this does not include a running commentary of each unit.  I simply cannot find the time to do that.  However, at the end of the post, please find a complete army list. Please try to view in YouTube instead of this embed because I uploaded it at full resolution and it took me forever.  You won't be disappointed! I started playing this game in 2010 when some friends and I suddenly realized that we finally had grown-up jobs and could actually afford it.  I'd always danced around the idea of collecting Orks either for F

2021 in Review and Looking Forward

Newly-painted models of 2021 Hobby progress was largely successful in 2021 with a huge focus on repainting old Orks into the new scheme.  Album for fully painted models of 2021: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPwtmvia5UQLguka8 Album for repainted models of 2021:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/WxGgtThxS7M6bdmp6 By the numbers: Points fully painted: 4457 Models fully painted: 132 Points repainted: 5467 Models repainted: 205 Total points: 9924 Total models: 337 After completing all the repaints, I managed to get some army shots of the Orks, which doesn't include the new Megaboss or the Bossbunker, but it's most everything else, about 26,000pts in new money: Morkers Morkers Dreadmob Gorkers Mercenaries and Misc. 2022 For 2022, I have a lot of projects on the burner including more Orks, a Cities of Sigmar project, and Tau. As usual, the Rogue Trader idea keeps percolating and collecting one kit at a time in its little, plastic container. Orks: 9x Killa Kans 3x Deffkoptas (also need to rebase