Skip to main content

Loopy's Ork Wishlist



A lot of folks have compiled their Ork Codex Wishlists including Severus from over on the Twenty-First Legion blog.  I've had a long time to think about it myself and with the new fast-release schedule of the White Dwarf magazines, the rumors have been few and unbelievable, so we're very much in the dark about things.

I won't let that stop me from speculating or wishing for things which I believe will make the army more fun to play.


Update:  Ork Boarding Torpedoes


This would basically be a vehicle for which there won't be a model.  It's a 35 point upgrade to an Ork unit and has a transport capacity of 20 boyz.  You take a large blast template and put it over a unit and resolve it as a Str 6 AP - barrage.  Then, when you're done, deal Str 6 AP- hits to the Ork unit inside the Boarding Torpedo equal to the number of Orks inside.  The surviving Orks are placed in close combat with any units which were hit by the blast.


Leadership


An army is defined as much by its strengths as its weaknesses.  One of the weaknesses of Orks is their leadership.  They are only strong of heart when backed up by a mob of Boyz.  The army should certainly still be shaky when reduced to smaller numbers.  However, I also feel as if the Warbosses and Nobz don't have enough of an effect on Mob Rule as they ought to.  I'd love for a squad's Mob Rule to be equal to total wounds in the unit instead of models.  I think this would allow a squad of Boyz to hang on in assault that one more turn we often find ourselves in need of.



Mekboyz Similar to Crypteks


I'd love to be able to take squads of Mekboyz in groups of 5 and distribute them as Sergeants throughout my army.  This would lead to many great fluff and tactical possibilities.  If you add to this the ability for the Mekboy to take a Bosspole, you now have a Character who can wield a power weapon/flamer and grant re-rolls on Morale checks as well as repair vehicles.  This, of course, comes at the cost of strength and wounds in close combat.




Random By Choice and With Value


The 4th Edition Ork Codex does have a lot of randomness in a lot of the units.  The cool thing is that you can play a perfectly reasonable and reliable Ork army without so much as touching a lot of the crazy stuff.  Having said that, a lot of folks, myself included, go ahead and dabble in the stuff anyways because it's rad.  I'd love for this tradition to continue as long as the crazy random units have a points value to reflect their odd nature.  Much of the time, it's important to assign a points value for a unit based on the worst case scenario for your opponent.  Unfortunately, when the result of a random roll is very binary, the risk begins to outweigh the reward.  Instead, each result should portray a give and take between each other.  For example, with the Shokk Attack Gun, it would be more appropriate, in my opinion, if the "2" and "12" results were combined into one effect; the gun sucks all the nearby Orks into the Warp and spits them out inside the targeted enemy, destroying everyone.


Boyz


I really am not sure what to say here.  I think Boyz are fine as they are.  We don't want them to be too good or else they'll go up in points and I'm not sure they're worth less than 6 points.  Right now, in a 6th Edition environment, I'd go with 5 points per boy, but charge 1 point for the shoota upgrade and 3 points for 'eavy armor on any squad.

I'd love to see Battlewagons as Dedicated Transports expanded to include Boyz.  This would allow an Ork player to run the awesome-sauce Konvoy list they've always wanted... without taking Nobz!  It would also free up our much-needed heavy slots for Big Gunz or whatever else we may want.  I'd also settle for an update to the Looted Wagon; then we can just take that instead.



Updated Looted Wagon


Oh yeah.  Without a doubt one of the biggest wants of a lot of Ork players is an update to the Looted Wagon.  I have an old Ork Codex which talks about taking any other tank from certain Codices, Orkifying it, and running it in your list.  That sounds really rad and really Orky.  There would certainly have to be some very strict guidelines on something like this, but it would mean that Games Workshop could really save themselves a lot of grief and just tell Ork players to buy vehicles from other armies to fill their Heavy slots.  Basically, just strip out all the equipment except the weapons, set the Ballistic Skill to 2, and allow the addition of Ork vehicle upgrades and you're really cooking with fire.


General Points Adjustment or even Odd Points


Of course, an across-the-board adjustment is required for many of the other Ork units, particularly anything with a Nob stat line except Meganobz.  This would never happen, but I love the idea of doing odd points for Orks instead of divisors of 5.  That would be very Orky and also help balance some things a bit closer while allowing for  a bunch of fun, little upgrades.



More Grots and Squigs


Because reasons.

Challenges


The most difficult thing (for me anyways) with the Ork codex right now are challenges.  An Ork unit really relies on the Nob to do a lot of the work in an Ork unit and with challenges, it's almost impossible to bring a Power Klaw to bear on anything these days.  Even when you have an HQ and a Nob in the unit and you deny the challenge, often times, your opponent can crush the remaining Character with precision shots.  I would love for Mob Rule to allow for any model to accept a challenge.  This seems quite the pipe dream, though.

In closing


As much as I do love rumors, I am quite liking the fact that I'll be surprised up until a few weeks before the release.  Though I'm not really sure what to expect.  Obviously, some metal kits will become plastic and others will simply disappear.  We may lose a few superfluous entries in the codex, but at the end of the day, I think we'll still have a reliable and mobile Codex which can both shoot and assault with great numbers and win through attrition and board domination.


Oh! And don't forget to tune in to Episode 3 of Masters of the Forge!  I'm having great fun working with Snorre and Kamil on this podcast and I think we're really putting out some good stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ordo Draconis Armies on Parade

As I finish up models that have been sitting in my queue, I've been doing army shots including them. Last week, I finished up the knight models I had lying around. The lore for Knight House Draco has advanced in the Era Indomitus. The house's pencheant for daemon fighting has caught the eye of the Ordo Malleus and they have been brought into the fold. Their worlds have been put under communications blackout and household forces sworn to the crusade against the Ruinous Powers. They are now known as the Ordo Draconis and even Greater Daemons tremble at the mere mention of their name. Tiamat Drogon Gojira Melificent Falcor Smaug Jabberwocky Jormungandr The Eye Stalkers

How Did it Come to This? 10,000 Points of Painted Orks

One can only make so many milestone posts before people eventually get soul-crushingly bored of them.  However, I'm going to make an exception here because with my Vengeance Batteries, I've reached a total of 10,000 points painted with my Orks.  These points include reasonable upgrades, but not ridiculous add-ons like Kill Kannons for the Battlewagons.  Let's not be silly . Here's a video of the army.  Unlike the one I did for 7,000, this does not include a running commentary of each unit.  I simply cannot find the time to do that.  However, at the end of the post, please find a complete army list. Please try to view in YouTube instead of this embed because I uploaded it at full resolution and it took me forever.  You won't be disappointed! I started playing this game in 2010 when some friends and I suddenly realized that we finally had grown-up jobs and could actually afford it.  I'd always danced around the idea of collecting Orks either for F

2021 in Review and Looking Forward

Newly-painted models of 2021 Hobby progress was largely successful in 2021 with a huge focus on repainting old Orks into the new scheme.  Album for fully painted models of 2021: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPwtmvia5UQLguka8 Album for repainted models of 2021:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/WxGgtThxS7M6bdmp6 By the numbers: Points fully painted: 4457 Models fully painted: 132 Points repainted: 5467 Models repainted: 205 Total points: 9924 Total models: 337 After completing all the repaints, I managed to get some army shots of the Orks, which doesn't include the new Megaboss or the Bossbunker, but it's most everything else, about 26,000pts in new money: Morkers Morkers Dreadmob Gorkers Mercenaries and Misc. 2022 For 2022, I have a lot of projects on the burner including more Orks, a Cities of Sigmar project, and Tau. As usual, the Rogue Trader idea keeps percolating and collecting one kit at a time in its little, plastic container. Orks: 9x Killa Kans 3x Deffkoptas (also need to rebase